This week’s guest is James Breakwell, a father of four daughters and a comedy writer known to more than a million followers online as Exploding Unicorn.
In our conversation, we break down the parts of parenthood that send us into parent survival mode. We talk about how to survive when parenthood is overwhelming and specific moments that send James into survival mode, such as socks. We also talk about James’ new book How to Save Your Child from Ostrich Attacks, Accidental Time Travel, and Anything Else that Might Happen on an Average Tuesday, which you can get now on Amazon.
This interview marks the third time that James has been on the podcast, which gives him the record for most appearances on the show. The first time he was on the show, it was before James became a viral sensation back in early 2016. This podcast was called The ParentNormal Comedy Podcast at the time and the format included segments like ParentNormal News and the ParentNormal Mailbag. You can go down memory lane and listen to episode 12 with James here. He was also on the show in 2017 to promote his book Only Dead on the Inside: A Parent’s Guide to Surviving the Zombie Apocalypse. You can hear that episode here.
About Breaking Down Parenting: A ParentNormal Podcast
Breaking Down Parenting: A ParentNormal Podcast is a show that’s for imperfect parents by imperfect parents. Hosted by humorist and imperfect parent of three Chris Cate, every episode breaks down a topic that causes parents to break down, such as putting kids to bed, potty training, the terrible twos, homework, clothing, discipline, cleaning up, cooking for kids, and so on….
By the end of each topic breakdown, parents will hopefully realize they aren’t alone in their struggles and that the craziness all parents go through is actually quite funny when it’s looked at in the right light. After all, the mission of the show is to help parents laugh when they want to cry.
Connect with The ParentNormal on Social Media
Links to more episodes of Breaking Down Parenting: A ParentNormal Podcast
- Dad Stereotypes versus Reality with Simon Holland
- Raising Teen Boys with Sarcastic Mommy Lisa Munn
- Modern Parent Problems with Tara Clark from Modern Mom Problems
- Toddler Dangers: How to keep toddlers from injuring themselves and you (with Clint Edwards)
- Raising Twins with Macgill Frutchey
- Clingy Kids with Rachel Sobel
- WTF Moments of Parenthood with Serena Dorman
- Being a One and Done Parent with Amanda Pacovsky
- Tooth Fairy Duty with Julie Burton
- The Mess Kids Make with Lauren Lodder
- Sick Kids with Gila Pfeffer
- Parent Friendships with Jenna Kim Jones
- Birthday Party Planning with Jennifer Douglas from Goldfish and Chicken Nuggets
- Breaking Down Bath Time with Andy Herald from How to Be a Dad